Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Presenting: Fred W. Smith (my great grandfather)

My great-grandfather, Fred W. Smith, was an artist. Most often he used watercolors, but he also did some pen and ink sketches. I am priviledged enough to have 4 of his pieces in my possession - the rest of the collection still held by the family are spread between my cousin, my mom's sister and my mom, though there are a number of others sold out among the world.

In honor of him, and of my grandparents (Joy and Dick) whom I love so much, I wanted to post pics of his paintings tonight. I had one of them hanging in my old house, but when I moved to Illinois three years ago, the frame broke. The others were not ever framed. So this week I bit the bullet and decided that I would rather have his pictures hanging in cheap frames than not hanging at all (while saving up for custom frames).

Here they are:


I used to think this one (above) was a painting of my grandma, Joy, and my mom and her sister. Even though my mom says its not so... secretly I still believe it. And I love it even more because even if it isn't really them, it could be. And it reminds me of my happy times in a state that had lots of water places - WA!
You may think I picked this photo because my fantastic new bookcase is in it... but no. The pic on top is of a harbor, with a sailboat in the foreground and a boathouse in the background. It goes nicely in that little space above the bookshelf (click photo to enlarge)
Lastly, this one of a country cabin, kind of ramshackle, seems to fit perfectly in th space above my bed - the colors are really pretty and its a peaceful setting.

This is part of my family legacy - and why I am fairly good with art-related stuff. Genetics. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I found your site while searching for information on Fred W. Smith. I am in posession of a water color by him, if it is the same artist. It actually belongs to my mother in law but I am "keeping" it for her. Could I possibly send you a picture of the painting to confirm? Also, we have another painting which I was told was done by Fred's wife. I can't make out her name entirely except for Smith.

Thank you,
Donna Forrest

Anonymous said...

Hello my name is Amy,
My family and I have one of your grandfather's water color paintings, it is a double in that there is one painting on either side of the paper. We were wondering if you had any information on the value of his other works. If you would like a photo of the painting, that can be arranged. If you would like to e-mail me with any information that would be great.

Tiffani P said...

I would love a picture of the paintings, Amy and Donna, and hopefully someone in my family could confirm the artist and any value.
Please send them to : tiffanicoupons@gmail.com.

Donna - i'm sorry it took me a while to reply, but I was figuring out how to get information from y'all (i.e. I couldn't email you back directly, and didn't want to post my personal email on the site)
Tiffani